Broken String Bass End Pin

cellopeg1cellopeg2

Left Pic – Broken String Bass End Pin with part of it still stuck inside
Right Pic – How else would you get out a broken bass end pin….a valve slide expander, of course…

cellopeg3cellopeg4

Left Pic – I just slid it in, tightened the knob to expand the end a bit, and pulled the broken piece out
Right Pic – Replacement end pin is too big; it will need to be trimmed down

cellopeg5cellopeg6

Left Pic – Chucked up in the lathe and slowly trim down the taper
Right Pic – Checking with the calipers

cellopeg7

Left Pic – almost ready to go…final fitting was done with a band sander

Flute Tonehole & Key Repair

This flute came in with the A Key bent backwards so far, the foot caught on the lip of the tone hole, and subsequently broke, damaging the tone hole lip as well.

flute_tonehole1 flute_tonehole2

Left Pic – Damage to the rear of the A tone hole
Right Pic – A better viewpoint of the damage

 

flute_tonehole3flute_tonehole4

Left Pic – After rolling the lip back over, I still have a high spot at the rear of the tone hole
Right Pic – Using a small tone hole file, I lower the high spot

flute_tonehole5flute_tonehole6

Left Pic – High spot gone
Right Pic – Now to fix the broken foot on the A Key

flute_tonehole7flute_tonehole8

Left Pic – Ready for brazing
Right Pic – All brazed, ready for cleanup

flute_tonehole9

All fixed and ready to go

How We Move A Vertical Piano

vertmove1vertmove2

Left Pic – Ramp and 6-wheel dolly ready to go
Right Pic – Dolly in front of piano, carpet runner in position

vertmove3vertmove4

Left Pic – Piano lifted onto dolly; Gary making sure it doesn’t go anywhere
Right Pic – Out into hallway; tight fit, had to come into foyer with front door closed, spin into hallway, open door, then out the door.

vertmove5vertmove6

Left Pic – Out the front door, ready to come down ramp
Right Pic – Out in the driveway, ready to move into trailer

vertmove7vertmove8

Left Pic – In the trailer, all ready for padding and strapping in
Right Pic – Padded, strapped in, ready to go

Delivery is basically this process in reverse. Like anything else , if you have the right equipment, it isn’t that complicated.

Yamaha Euphonium Dent/Brace

yamaha_euph1yamaha_euph2

Left Pic – Damage to the upper branch on a Yamaha Euphonium. The brace dented the tubing when the damage occurred. There’s no easy access to this area, without unsoldering major parts of the horn, and the brace can’t be re-soldered with the dent in there.

Right Pic – I’ve soldered a sax strap ring into the dented area

 

yamaha_euph3yamaha_euph6

Left Pic – Using my slide puller(a soft rope with a weight), I’ve looped the rope through the strap ring. Using the weight, I can now “snatch” the dent back up into roughly it’s original position.

Right Pic – The dent is now “mostly” out. I don’t have to have it our totally, just enough so the brace will reach.

 

yamaha_euph4yamaha_euph5

Left Pic – I’ve removed the strap ring, and now am soldering the brace back into position. By removing most of the dent, I’m able to solder the brace without any strain(pulling the pieces together). Soldering something back “strained” almost always leads to the solder joint failing down the road.

Right Pic – All done

Cracked Trumpet Leadpipe

crackedtrpt_1crackedtrpt_2

Left Pic – Crack in trumpet leadpipe
Right Pic – Small piece of sheet brass cut to fabricate patch

 

crackedtrpt_3crackedtrpt_4

Left Pic – Patch cut to diamond shape
Right Pic – Patch annealed(heated red hot) to soften it for forming around leadpipe

 

crackedtrpt_5crackedtrpt_6

Left Pic – Patch soldered on
Right Pic – All cleaned up, buffed and spot lacquered