Be safe everybody!
Gonna make this easy…
We will be OPEN
Sat 12/28 9-12
Thur 1/2 12-5
Sat 1/4 9-12
The rest we are closed for the holidays!
This trumpet befuddled the band director(and her trumpet playing band director husband) as to why it wasn’t playing well, and how they could feel air escaping. It took me a while, but I finally found the split in the leadpipe. In normal light it was very hard to see the split. Here’s how I fixed it:
Left Pic – Split in leadpipe…about 3 inches long
Right Pic – Sheet brass patch after cutting to preliminary shape
Left Pic – Patch cut to final shape
Right Pic – Lacquer removed and patch bent to contour of leadpipe
Left Pic – Other view of patch contoured to fit
Right Pic – Wire tied on leadpipe, prior to soldering
Left Pic – Soldered, but not cleaned up
Right Pic – Buffed and ready to go
The KING of Tenor Saxes was brought in for a total repad. The customer decided on Black Roo (Kangaroo Hide) pads with Gold Reso-Tone Resonators.
Left Pic – Ready for disassembly
Right Pic – Notice the duct tape on the Low Eb….UGH!
Left Pic – All disassembled
Right Pic – Keys ready for cleaning
Left Pic – Black Roo pads with Gold Reso-Tones
Right Pic – Pad Fitting almost complete
Left Pic – Assembly begins
Right Pic – Lower stack ready
Left Pic – Bells Keys on
Right Pic – Upper stack ready
Tenor sax came in and the palm D key rod had sheared off. This doesn’t happen often but does occasionally. Rods with a small throat(area between the threads and main part of rod) are very susceptible to this type of problem.
Left Pic – You can see the broken thread section extending out of the post. I’ve partially removed the threaded section here.
Right Pic – The key with the broken rod, now with the threaded section totally out
Left Pic – Time to find a donor rod…looking for something with the same threads and about the same size or slightly bigger in diameter. Length I’m not too concerned about length, since I can always cut off the extra.
Right Pic – Found one….just slightly bigger in diameter….will have to drill out key and post, but the threads already fit.
Left Pic – Drilled out and fits perfect.
Right Pic – Rod is too long, but that’s easily solved.
Left pic – Problem solved, now to cut the slot
Right Pic – This is my slot cutter. The metal sleeve has various holes for different size rods. The blade cuts the slot.
All done and ready to go.
Left Photo – Hard to see, but there is a crack running from the metal tube inside the bore to the tenon cap
Right Photo – Used a super thin super glue with a small bottle and teflon flexible tip
Left Photo – You can see the glue in and around the crack
Right Photo – My high tech holding system
All back together
3-Piece Giardinelli Trumpet Mouthpiece where the shank was seized to the bowl section. Whacked it with a rawhide; wrapped it in silicone tape and tried to free it with a 2 pairs of pliers; froze it, then heated the bowl…nada….finally whacked it a few more times with the rawhide, grabbed it wearing 2 heavy rubber gloves, and it popped free. Cleaned the threads and reassembled.
Repairing 3 cracks in one of our rental violins.
Left Pic – 2 cracks in the top, on the lower right side
Right Pic – Small cleat super-glued to clamp. This cleat will be glued to the underside of the crack through the F-Hole. The super glue will pull away from the clamp, leaving the cleat glued underneath the crack
Left Pic – 2 Clamps w/cleats ready to go inside
Right Pic – 2 Clamps going through the F-Hole. 1 Clamp drawing the crack closed
Left Pic – Gluing a small crack near the F-Hole
Right Pic – Another view of same crack